top of page

New Requirement for Travel to Europe

Planning a trip to Europe in 2024? Unless you have an EU-passport, you’ll need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) electronic travel authorization, also known as a visa waiver. This new requirement for entry to one or more of the 27 Schengen Area countries applies to Americans, Canadians, British and other citizens from countries who are Schengen visa exempt.

You still don’t need a visa to visit for tourism or business if your trip is 90 days or less within a 180-day period. But you will need to apply for the ETIAS travel authorization before you leave. The registration process requires a background check, and is similar to what the US requires for non-US citizens visiting America. Its purpose is to increase border security.

How do I register?

When ETIAS registration opens, you’ll need to apply online, provide basic personal information and passport details, and pay €7 ($7.68 based on today’s exchange rate). Children under the age of 18, or anyone over the age of 70, will not need to pay the fee. ETIAS estimates 95 percent of applications will receive a decision within minutes of submission. Once approved, the travel authorization will be issued for a period of three years or until the date your passport expires, whichever date is sooner.

What countries are in the Schengen Area?

The Schengen Area includes the following 23 European Union countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden, as well these four non-EU countries: Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

The Schengen Area does not include Ireland, Northern Ireland or the United Kingdom, which includes England, Wales and Scotland. Americans can stay for up to 90 days in Ireland or up to six months in the United Kingdom without a visa.

What else do I need to know?

Here’s a few other details to be aware of.

  • You don't need to have confirmed travel plans to apply for the ETIAS travel authorization.

  • If you have a six-month or one-year visa to a Schengen-member country, you won’t need the ETIAS travel authorization.

  • The travel authorization is linked to your current passport.

  • To apply for the ETIAS travel authorization, your passport must be valid for at least three months after your intended date of departure from the Schengen Area.

  • If your passport expires within those three years, you’ll need to apply for a new visa waiver after you receive your new passport.

  • For more information, and to apply when the application process starts, see the ETIAS website.

If your passport is expiring in the next two years, you might want to renew it before applying for the ETIAS travel authorization, especially when passport renewals can take up to 17 weeks (according to a recent Forbes article).

Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions. I've been following this story for the past few years as the implementation of ETIAS has been delayed a number of times. If there are further delays, and/or when they announce the start of the registration process, I’ll provide an updated post. So please subscribe below if you haven’t already.


Hi, I’m Lori Cronwell. As a writer and frequent traveler, I admire the values most Europeans embrace: choosing quality over quantity; residing in smaller, more sustainable homes; working less and spending more time with friends and family.

Those values were key in my decision to drastically downsize to a 700 sq. ft. accessory dwelling unit (ADU) with the goal of creating a simpler, more sumptuous life with time for travel.

Slow travel, that is. Spending more time in one place — even if it’s just a week. You'll not only spend less, you'll discover a deeper and more meaningful travel experience.

Please subscribe below and join me on a journey to find affordable ways to explore Europe in the slow lane and to live a more European lifestyle every day of our lives.

bottom of page